Music Banter - View Single Post - The Killers - Day and age
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 03:53 AM   #31 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

^^ Wholeheartedly agree.

I've been listening to it more lately and here are my observations:

Losing touch starts off great, I love the saxes (or whatever it is trumpety that's playing) but then it divulges into a forgettable pre-chorus followed by a Bruce Springsteen/Nico Case-like finale which has Flowers singing like he's either bored or trying to convey weariness. I like the guitar solo after that though. 3/5

Human - I don't know what's up with his voice, but he should really go back to singing like he did on Hot fuss, without the faux pathos reverberation. I really like the beat and the synths, but the chorus, even though it's decently sung (a rare thing here), I can't get past the most inane lyrics I've heard this year save for that Pink song; "Are we human or are we dancer?" 3.5/5

Spaceman - Easily the best song on the album (which most of us seem to agree on) and the best thing they've done since Who let you go, despite his singing. Remember that song you guys, back when they didn't take themselves seriously? *sigh* 4.5/5

Joy ride - Love the funky, retro 70's beat and bass and he even sings well...until the chorus which is possibly the worst thing on the whole album. It's tone freakin' deaf and don't tell me you don't hear that! It's a goddamn shame because I think it has a great Vegas vibe. Hate the "there's something in the distance, a glorious existence" part...*barfy* 2.5/5

A dustland fairytale - Terrible song. I think he's trying really hard to sing like someone who should be taken seriously, which is why they keep getting worse and worse with each album. They'll never be seen as anything more than a pop band and it's time to forgo any serious artistic pretension. 1/5

This is your life - I think this would have been a good closer, instead of that godawful Goodnight, farewell. 3/5

In the dark - Another interesting 70's throwback, very evocative of Vegas, if it hadn't been for Flowers' wailing, it could have been a good pop tune. Maybe he should have a good cry before going into the studio? 2.5/5

Neon tiger - Another Sprinsteen/Case (especially the latter in the chorus and the finish) tribute. 2/5

The world we live in - It's awright. 3.5/5

Goodnight, travel well - terrible. If you didn't know it yet, Flowers is depressed, very very depressed. And this is the first time I've actually forced myself to listen to it till the end. 0/5

Overall, I'd give it a 2.5/5 :|

Bonus tracks:

A crippling blow - The chorus is tone deaf again. I'm beginning to think this is some big joke they're playing and that the real album will be released later. :| 2/5

Forget about what I said - Curiously, the chorus is actually half decent, and if you pay attention, you'll notice it's because the rest of the band joins in and drowns Flowers' wailing making it chirpily poppy. 3.5/5

Last.fm

Last edited by adidasss; 11-28-2008 at 04:00 AM.