Music Banter - View Single Post - Band Most Well Known Songs That Are Also Their Worst
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Kudos to anyone who nominated Everybody Hurts (wtf?) and Wonderwall (the reason I don't blame people for hating Oasis).

But I don't think there are really many cases where the band's best known song is also its worst. Sure, we hate them because they're overplayed and medicore, but there are some REM songs worse than Everybody Hurts (not by much, but they are worse) and Smells Like Teen Spirit isn't quite as awful as some of the junk on Nevermind.

For that reason, I can't nominate Satisfaction or Rock The Casbah or Hey Jude or even Sounds Of Silence.

One that comes very close, though, is Marquee Moon. If it wasn't for The Dream's Dream and Little Johnny Jewel, this would be the worst Television song by a country mile.

Another one is Be My Baby. The Ronettes (and Phil Spector) had so many truly great pop tracks (Do I Love You?, Born To Be Together, Walking In The Rain), and this awful piece of fluff is their best known? If it wasn't for So Young, this would be a shoe-in.