Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 12:21 AM   #1658 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

^^ Just need to say that Andy Warhol is the single largest weeping, puss-filled mind-sore to blight 20th century art. But at least he promotes recycling... Oh, and he was a tosser. SO, Jean Claude Van Damme then!:

Despite being spurred on by a recent and totally irrational addiction to trashy 80's action (see earlier in the thread for my opinion on the, frankly, ****ing excellent 'Bloodsport' and these kind of movies), I drew the line here. It has all the ingredients, JCVD's terrible acting, the equally terrible supporting cast, the gaping plot holes... but it just wasn't any fun this time. In fact, it was degrading.

I suppose these VHS classics make for great time-wasters, and you have to wonder why they aren't popular anymore... I guess moviegoers finally got sick of that tired action formula?

This came out in 1987 and was the first picture by a fledgling animation studio called Gainax, it bombed despite being well-received by critics and it's easy enough to find online. It follows an inept cadet in the defunct space corps on a fictional Cold War-esque world and his bumblings.

Remember those shoddily-animated, badly dubbed, hyper-gory Manga videos that had parent's committees in an uproar, like Fist of the North Star? This is not one of those.
Lush, detailed set pieces, endearing characters and an English script that is full of wit (dubbed is the best way to see Japanese animations IMO if it's done properly, but then I am interested in ADR. Unless it has Anna Paquin ****ing it all up.)
So I definitely recommend this one; because let's face it, there are barely 10 really enduring Japanese anime feature films out there well-produced enough to deserve transcending that unenviable 'cult status' amongst ardent Japanophiles. *shudder*
Not as fantastical as something like Akira or Nausicaa , but the best thing I've seen since Castle of Cagliostro.

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her

Last edited by Molecules; 11-29-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote