Music Banter - View Single Post - Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Roygbiv
marquee moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Moore View Post
By the way, this album has moved up to my favorite album of all time. After listening to it many, many times, no album connected with me on an emotional level like this one did. My favorite song on it is Two Headed Boy pt. 2, I think it's so, unbearably sad, and Mangum's voice sounds like he's trying to hold back tears. The lyrics are also very touching.

Jeff Mangum's brother committed suicide. I learned that while reading up on the album about 3 songs into it while listening for the first time and when I heard the lyrics in this song about his brother a shiver went up my spine. An absolutely haunting piece of artwork.
The exact same thing happened to me. I listened to it over and over, not with the purpose of getting it, but because I couldn't get enough of it. Something significant is happening within those 48 minutes, everytime. Suddenly the world stops being about you, and starts being about Jeff Mangum's characters.

Two Headed Boy Pt. 2 is one of the best closers for any album I've heard. If I could cry, it would be to this song.
Roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote