Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You Hate By Bands You Love
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #156 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
It's a completely different beast to The Queen Is Dead really, you have a point in that it's an album by a band that are still trying to find their own sound but at the same time they're taking a few risks too and going out of their comfort zone, and it works so well.
I wouldn't change a thing about this album.
No denying that they're taking risks and experimenting with Meat Is Murder, but I just don't think they pull it off very well. A lot of the touches, like the endless moaning at the ends of The Headmaster Ritual and That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, sound to me like a band that has no idea where they're going.

I think I said this somewhere else, but even the mix seems off. The whole thing sounds bland and unexciting. If it wasn't recorded track by track with the band phoning in their parts, it sure sounds like it.

Even the lyrics are pretty bad (even by Smiths standards). I don't think there's a single memorable line in here, unlike their debut and TQID, which were full of great lines. That part in Rushholme Ruffians about "my faith in love is still devout" (and delivered in that awful falsetto) sums up everything I dislike about the album.

But you're right from your side and I'm right from mine.