Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do you like Country?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #174 (permalink)
Z-Man
Groupie

This is an interesting thread. Country music is, indeed, a broad genre. I initially began listening to Country on the radio as a diversion to all the repetitive and recycled popular music available. I was able to push a button on my radio and just slow down a little and listen to songs that were not familiar to me at the time. Once I began listening as a diversion, I grew to re-discover 'roots' aspects of the music form and I eventually grew tired of what many refer to as pop country. I agree with the critics of the new Country music. There is some stuff on the radio that is great with nice lyrics and hooks, but there is just as much that is absolute rubbish. I think it's the same in all genres of music, yeah? Personally, listening to 'pop country' led me down other roads to explore forms of music that I had not previously even considered... music with roots elements that would not be defined as 'Country' by most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireInCairo View Post
for the most part i think you have to be a yankee. ill make exception for johnny cash never got willie and hes a commercial whore now see him in jessica simpsons horrible cover of these boots?
Willie Nelson is a talented and prolific artist. When you get involved in as MUCH stuff as he has, there are bound to be some stinkers. There is a lot of love for Johnny Cash on this message forum, but he has put out a LOT of garbage, too. There are few artists (I'll say 'no artists') as prolific as these that don't lay a few eggs along the way, including Johnny Cash.
Z-Man is offline   Reply With Quote