Music Banter - View Single Post - A question to vegetarians
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #137 (permalink)
IObject!
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I don't really bring this up myself, because I don't really care if anyone knows what I choose to eat and not eat; it's my life, and my choice, and it makes no difference to anyone else. Anyways, I do agree that we are supposed to eat meat. I see nothing inherently wrong with eating meat. But, I am a vegetarian because I believe the industry takes away from the value of life for a capitalistic purpose, and I'd just rather take a step back and not be a part. I just don't want to put my money in their pockets because I don't believe in that idea. Life is more then a commodity to me.

Though, with that said, you can't really get around that 100% unless you just choose not to take part in almost every facet of our society. Not to mention, that by eating soy protein, you're more or less supporting the destruction of forest. If I'm not mistaken (please correct me if I am), one of South America's (?) biggest commodities is soy, and in order to make more, they simply burn away trees to have more land. Without the all the forest in South America, the weather of the world would be thrown in complete disarray.

So with all that said, my lifestyle is still in the works in that sense. I'm trying to get myself more informed on all the areas of this subject so I can do what I feel is right. I'm not really one to say anyone else is wrong though; who am I to say I'm more right then you are? What is right anyways? It's simply an opinion.
Its definately good to know as much as possible about the food you eat I think. Soya is an interesting one.. yes alot of the rainforest is cut down for soya, but most of that soya goes as animal feed, cheap reconstituted fast food products, oils and biofules. Companies that make alot of vegan soya food (Alpro, Redwoods etc) do source their soya ethically.

Soya does have a large carbon footprint though, which is why I tend to go for veggie burgers that are made out of bredcrumbs, beans, oats or hemp flour instead.

But yes.. through our diet is one of the main ways we impact the environment unfortunately. Whats happening in the Amazon with soya is also happening with cheap beef, and in the Phillipines with Palm Oil.. its nasty business.
IObject! is offline   Reply With Quote