Music Banter - View Single Post - Morality and the Bible
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #122 (permalink)
cardboard adolescent
;)

I have already answered these questions. The train leads to nihilism. God is the result of attempting to overcome nihilism. But the conception of God that nihilism leads to is not the same as that found in the Bible, which tends to anthropomorphise God. God must be something above man which man can strive towards but never achieve, otherwise all of man's striving is just a closed circle, the snake eating its own tail. This idea of God also implies that man's purpose is to overcome his own nature, which is the goal of morality. I'm not trying to prove that this concept of God is real, that would be completely absurd. I'm just arguing it is necessary for morality. This concept of God is not one that's going to talk to you and tell you what to do, in fact, it is the complete opposite: this God sits entirely outside experience. Experience does not give us God, in fact, experience gives us futility. Thus we are compelled to either move beyond experience or to embrace futility and thus reject morality.
cardboard adolescent is offline   Reply With Quote