Music Banter - View Single Post - Looking for help from big jazz fans
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarko View Post
Yeah, the Art Ensemble is legendary stuff - Bap-Tizum, Urban Bushmen, Les Stance a Sophie...

A bit crazy at times, but a nice and unique blend worked to perfection.

The Dirty Dozen Brass Band are my favourite Nawleans/Dixieland band, still going strong after a few decades.

Cannonball Adderly is always one to look out for.

I have more free jazz/Avant garde and some fusion moreso than anything else... Any sub genre in particular you like or are interested in? Or anything and everything?
Yeah, I like the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and Cannonball Adderly—though I'm familiar with Cannonball mostly as a part of Miles Davis' band.

As far as what I'm looking for, really anything and everything except smooth jazz. I don't know much fusion at all so I'm definitely interested in that. John Zorn is pretty much the extent of my knowledge of avant-garde and my knowledge of dixieland is pretty much limited to Jelly Roll Morton, Louis Armstrong and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, so input on those is greatly appreciated as well. I know a bit more about bebop and swing but I'm definitely open to hearing more about those. And of course I'm sure there are many more subgenres I'm not even thinking of, so input on anything else would be great.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote