Music Banter - View Single Post - Comus' Review Corner
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 08:31 AM   #69 (permalink)
Comus
I'm sorry, is this Can?

ALBUM #1

Citay – Little Kingdom

Cover:

Year: 2007
Genre: Psychedelic/Folk
Tracklisting:
1. First Fantasy (6:45)
2. Little Kingdom (6:39)
3. A Riot of Color (5:26)
4. On The Wings (7:48)
5. Last Days Last (3:05)
6. Eye On The Dollar (5:16)
7. Former Child (7:02)
8. Moonburn (2:52)

Little Kingdom is a beautiful folkish psychedelic album that plays like a beautiful, calming dream. The album throughout is held together by lush acoustic instrumentals and torn apart by slow squealing psychedelic guitars and effects, despite the interruptions the first half of the album feels incredibly smooth and calming.

What sets this album apart is the lovely melodies that course throughout, beautiful in their simplicity it adds huge amount of depth. The repetitive quality of the songs simply adds to the effect and atmosphere, Citay have embarked on a grand scale plan here to create something stunningly beautiful, and they most certainly have achieved that. Sparse vocals add to the mystical and distant feel of the album, and most certainly heighten the calming effects.

The instrumental build-ups become incredibly satisfying as the album starts to tug at your mind and heart. The first few songs build to relax the listener and eventually take complete control. There is nothing completely special about the instrumentals, there are no huge displays of talent, but it all fits together so well, it’s all so appropriate. Citay’s musicians have nothing to prove by showing their talent and thus don’t let it get in the way of creating some brilliant passages, staying true to the psychedelic mindset.

Little Kingdom

A Riot of Color has an absolutely brilliant solo that plays through most of the song, helped along by some brilliant melodic effects on loop it sets your mind on a spinning path to destruction. It takes some effort not to be a drooling mess by the end of this 45 minute journey, but why would you want to resist it, well apart from reviewing the little ****er. My advice would be to sit back with something warm and intoxicating, or even better, toke up and just soak it all in.

What overwhelms me about this album is how incredibly warm it is, today I was listening to it on my walk to and from university to get some more ideas about the review. It happens to be snowing at the moment and I just felt so warm and uplifted by the whole experience, the lushness of the album is quite breathtaking. The wholly instrumental tracks are some of my favourite instrumentals and definitely my favourite of this decade.

The relaxed atmosphere that is created throughout Little Kingdom sets you up for the cutting guitars and effects that kick in every now and then, and eventually come out in full force on the final two tracks Former Child and Moonburn

Moonburn

This album is a brilliant way to start the showcase of great albums of the Noughties. It is a must have for any self-respecting indie, folk or psychedelic fan who consider themselves to be with the times. Even the casual listeners will enjoy the calming often repetitive melodies, great for what it is, you should most certainly check out this solid journey.

8.7/10
Originally Posted by antonio
classical music isn't exactly religious, you know?
um
last.fm
Comus is offline   Reply With Quote