Music Banter - View Single Post - The pursuit of the ultimate truth
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
cardboard adolescent
;)

it is certainly built in, according to Schopenhauer everything is either will or representation. the bouncing molecules you mentioned are driven by will, as are all the animals, as are we, even a rock is a manifestation of the will to persist. the will also creates out of itself representations such as rock, molecule, ego, sister, mother, child, etc. the important thing to see according to schopenhauer is that the will is propelled forward by suffering, it is a blind force that goes endlessly in circles. nietzsche, in response to schopenhauer, would say that if the will is all there is we should give in to it completely, and maximize our will to live. so just recognizing that everything is will does not necessarily tell you what to do, but it does show how representations, which are merely manifestations of the will, could lead away from the truth of the will. it really wouldn't make sense for me to try to convince people that renouncing the will to live is the only way to overcome existence, because for one thing who says its necessary to overcome existence at all? only buddha. i'm just trying to show that the search for truth can often lead directly away from life.

i figured i'd post a picture too, this tries to show all the stages of life, and how they all revolve around suffering

cardboard adolescent is offline   Reply With Quote