Music Banter - View Single Post - Bands you LOVE to HATE!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #398 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obdurate
Opeth makes long songs. Long, boring songs. They're a guitar band and that's not a surprise in metal. Where is the drumming? It's boring as ****. Slipknot, on the other hand, has put an emphasis on drumming. That's one thing that sets them apart from a lot of metal bands. Songs like Tattered and Torn are just clinics in drumming
While I disagree with your comparison, I'm not going to argue with it as neither of us can change each other's mind. But I will argue on this point... how can you say Opeth's drumming is boring? Martin Lopez is one of the best drummers metal has to offer and personally one of my favourite ever. Jordison isn't a bad drummer, but at the end of the day he brings very little of new to the table... mostly just some double bass gimmicks you can find in any death metal band. Whereas Lopez is versatile, has good groove and and a Latin/metal style which is unique within metal. His fills are genius.

Lopez's background drumming is more entertaining than both Jordison's attention whore drumming and Slipknot's additional percussionists combined. Examples of awesome Lopez drumming (at least watch the first video):

Opeth - Closure (Live):
A Damnation song... the actual song might bore you as it's 3 mins longer than the studio version, but it's a perfect example of Lopez's greatness and his drumming is better than on the studio track. Skip to 1:40 as that's where the drumming starts... notice how he never overplays but overlays it with subtle fills and dances around the beat a little. When you can play that tastefully, you don't need speed or heaviness to show your skills.

Opeth - Deliverance (Live):
Drumming is superb throughout, especially THE Deliverance drumbeat from 3:18 to the end.

Opeth - Death Whispered a Lullaby (Studio):
But Lopez is so much more versatile than that... he doesn't need to be playing metal to show his talent. Skip to 3:35 and pay attention to that shuffling drumbeat with the odd accenting and subtle groove. And also to where he rips up at about 4:50.