Music Banter - View Single Post - Made-Up Albums that Changed the World
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 12:12 AM   #45 (permalink)
PaperHurricanesAndPlanes
Ban Captain Caveman

The Germs: Hidden Deep In The Furor (1990)

1. Second Coming (No God Bigger Than I) (0:35)
2. Circle Two (2:00)
3. The Injection (1:25)
4. Facisti! (3:44)
5. Spots In My Eyes (6:10)
6. Battered (0:49)
7. Amplified Numb (3:13)
8. Five Years [Bowie Tribute] (:55)
9. Sophistifuck (2:10)
10. The Jungle (3:17)
11. Democratic Imbalances (3:20)
12. Your Decline (2:16)
13. Mustapha Mond (2:27)
14. December 7th (7:12)
15. The Final Circle/Here Lies Darby Crash (8:00)

The Lost Tapes EP (Bonus)
16. Manimal (Alternate Extended Take)
17. Throw It Away (Alternate Take)
18. Lexicon Devil (Early Live Version)
19. We Must Bleed (Early Live Version Causing Audible Riot)
20. My Tunnel (Extended Live Version)
21. What We Do Is Secret (Alternate Slow Take)

Personnel:

Darby Crash - Vocals
Pat Smear - Guitar
Lorna Doom - Bass
Don Bolles - Drums

Producer: Shane Wreck
Mixed By: Rob Henley

What is there to say about an album that no one ever thought could happen? In 1989, Darby Crash resurfaced. Just like that he walked onto the stage of an underground concert space a few blocks from C-Squat. I remember looking on in complete shock. He had aged poorly, his mohawk stood at least 12 inches from his head.

However, this is all irrelevant to the album. The album equals the intensity of G.I. though never surpasses it (not that I truly thought it would). There are no weak spots just "less than perfect" spots.
The first track (Second Coming) is a fast-paced opener that throws you right into the fray. While I like fast-paced songs, its a little less than perfect lyrically. It very fluidly slips into Circle Two (A nice allusion) which continues to be fast-paced with lyrics done in the style of Circle One.
The Injection is short, with a medium pace. It paraphrases his addiction to heroin.
Facisti! Maintains blazing speed for nearly four minutes while Darby growls his political views, which have matured somewhat since his youth, becoming less fascist and more liberal.
Spots In My Eyes is one of the less exhilarating tracks. While not bad, it lingers without having a good reason too. Not a song I will keep going back to.
On the other hand, Battered is incredibly short and rather pointless. Largely inaudible, and lyrically daft. I'd have left it off, personally... Luckily, this is the worst of the record and it is only 40 seconds of it.
Amplified Numb talks about live performances in a poignant, fast, and loud style. Less than perfectly audible, due to Darby's raspy growling. I'd read the lyrics to this while listening for the first few times.
Five Years is a nice cover, however, like most, are lackluster compared to the original. A nice dedication/tribute from Crash to Bowie.
Sophistifuck details Darby's early life (the title being allusion to the Germs' original name: Sophistifuck And The Revlon Spam Queens). It speaks of his home life, school life and his search for something more, and something different.
The Jungle is a loud, animalistic anger fest, that seems to combine My Tunnel and Manimal. It is more thought out and articulate however. Pat Smear's guitar work on this is phenomenal.
Democratic Imbalances is another nice political song detailing the major flaws of democracy and the pros and cons of both representative democracy and direct democracy (though he never uses those phrases). A very interesting political thesis with excellent drum and bass work.
Your Decline is another political number examining the countless amounts of utopias and their seemingly inevitable downfalls. Not as good as the previous track but it makes it mark, certainly.
The next track alludes to the fascist ruler of the novel Brave New World. This is an all out denunciation of fascist views, and the destroying of information, while still managing to let Darby's admiration for Mond's genius shine through.
The next track is a change of pace from political to personal. This track, appropriately titled "December 7th." Details the events of that night as Darby remembers them. Not the best musically, but one of the most interesting songs for fans/worshippers of Darby. It is probably no coincidence this song is exactly 7:12 (As in 12.7.80).
The final track is by far the best. It changes pace, incorporates many different instruments and the lyrics are beautiful. It even comes full circle when Darby sings the entirety of What We Do Is Secret (The first track off of G.I.) A truly beautiful way to go full circle.
Unfortunately, this WAS Darby Crash's last hurrah. At the very end of recording the vocals to this, which he did late at night, alone, he shot himself in the studio. In fact, some illegal versions of this CD have the original take of the last song in which the gunshot that killed Darby Crash can be heard.
I have no more energy to review the bonus EP. Needless to say it is amazing.

Rest In Peace, Darby Crash.
Attached Thumbnails
Made-Up Albums that Changed the World-hiddendeepinthefuror.jpg  

What's with people dying? Shit.
PaperHurricanesAndPlanes is offline   Reply With Quote