Music Banter - View Single Post - Ambient music...
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
LOOMER
Groupie

(Sadly, my initial impression of this forum is that it's full of boring threads of name-dropping without any real reflections about the music. Not that everyone does that, but why bother to post two names..?)

I love ambient music. My favorite ambient record has to be Pop by Wolfgang Voigt, under the project name GAS. One of my friend put it that way, that every song is like a painting, which is a really good description. If I'd compare the music to the work of a specific painter, it would be Turner - his more abstract and impressionist stuff that is. GAS is pretty easy to get into, since it's simply hypnotic and surreal, an really demonstrates what a soundscape really can do. The sound is built up of distorted orchestral samples and the likes, which gives the music a sort of organic feel. The second best album is the first one, entitled GAS.

Another great ambient music maker is William Basinski. He's a pretentious ****, and his music is very artsy, but that's half the point. There's a sort of mystique post-modern vibe to the whole thing, as much of his music originates from the playing with master tapes and the grainy sound which is the result of it. His works are really long, some pieces are about an hour, which sometimes is annoying. But they are very monotonous (in a good way), so they don't require the most attentive listener always. Sometimes I put his music on just to change the way I feel about the enviroment. Try going shopping with Watermusic II in your headphones! I recommend the works Watermusic II, The Disintegration Loops 3 and El Camino Real. I have also recently gotten into Variations for Piano & Tape: Variation #9: Pantelleria.

Other artist that I would recommend are Loscil, Tape, and of course Brian Eno.