Music Banter - View Single Post - Yes- it's my list of favourite albums thread
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 04:37 AM   #85 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Genesis - Foxtrot (1972)

Genesis get a bad wrap. Self indulgent, boring and of course Phil Collins but damn it, in the early 70's they were one of the very best Prog bands around. Mixing obtuse lyrics with Peter Gabriels theatrical leanings gave the band a larger than life appeal but what I really liked about early Genesis is that they were a band that used melody as a guiding force and did'nt rely on strange tempo's or whacked out sampling. They are virtually the perfect prog band. Musically very tight whilst still keeping hold of the themes in their music.

There is no one reliance on a particular instrument on Foxtrot. Nobody showboats. There is ambience as well as moments of technical expertise. The reason why I love Foxtrot so much is the contrasts. I love light and dark, highs and lows, peaks and troughs never more so highlighted on the superb 22 minute 'Supper's Ready'. If you want to get into Prog I can think of no better track to start with. Fuck the haters. This has been one of my favourite albums for over 20 years and the lack of cool attatched to it does'nt bother me one bit.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”