Music Banter - View Single Post - Hatin on the mainsteam
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
Brad Stengel
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
While I understand the distaste for the mainstream, I think a lot of people just make a habit out of hating anything that's mainstream.

Sometimes, "mainstream" is used to describe anything that is even remotely accessible, and I especially hate it when the term is used that way, and for whatever reason, people will look at any kind of music that's catchy AND well produced as an automatically bad thing, because of the whole anti-mainstream obsession. I especially see this kind of behavior among the (yeah I know, inevitable negative feedback is on it's way) hipster types. The kind of guys who rant about how band x sold out because over time they actually evolved into competent musicians. See: Nirvana, Pavement.

My taste is pretty dead center. I like my share of obscurities, mainly that old prog that probably only your dad has ever heard of. But overall I dig a lot of mainstream music, which is already pretty obvious by now.

I only care about the music. With some exceptions, I never take a personal interest in the musicians themselves, because I always expect them to be douchebags, that's just how it is, the best musicians are douchebags. I'm not gonna be bothered by the fact the people behind the music are motivated mainly if not only by the money, or the fact that the music is a mass produced product that's hyped to death by just about everyone. I don't care about any of that, just as long as it's a good product, and yes, music is a product, let's not kid ourselves. In the end, good music is good music and bad music is bad music, that is all.

Truth. Although I don't think X or Pavement sold out, I still have a distaste for their later works, where their cleaner sound happened to coincide with weaker songwriting.