Music Banter - View Single Post - Weezer (2008)
Thread: Weezer (2008)
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mark Lint
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
2. The Greatest Man that ever Lived - This one is all over the place. Sirens blare behind a simplified beat that reminds me of church before distorted guitars and drums take over. That all bleeds into an acoustic guitar and harmonizing vocals chorus and a trendy drum line church (again) choir style section, the song of more a series of movements then any sort of structured composition and is interesting at worst on the first listen. Could have done without the talking section. I may like this song or I may tire of it quickly, so far so good. 7.5\10
This has become actually one of my favorite songs. On first listens it sounds like a series of unrelated stylistic parodies of popular styles of the last 10 years or so, but after a few go-rounds its musical unity becomes more obvious, as is the fact that the movements between sections are not arbitrary... it's a gradual build from less tuneful (the rap part at the beginning) to pretty damn transcendent gregorian harmonies wrapped up in a Green-Day-esque fast attack on the theme that just about makes me explode.
Mark Lint is offline   Reply With Quote