Music Banter - View Single Post - New laptop
Thread: New laptop
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
dac
MB's Biggest Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldlaw View Post
I am a tech support person and ACERS are dreadful. The best way to explain them is playing russian roulette. If you get lucky and get one that doesnt break then its money well worth it. But like most I've seen they break and the call center help and parts are both expensive and frustrating to get.

As much as Windows Vista Vs Xp. I've used both 2+ years and I've warmed up to the idea of vista. You need atleast 3 gigs of ram with windows vista to have to run smoothly. Roughly 1 -1.5 gigs to run vista +vista add-ons and another 1.5 gigs for other applications you may open. I've tryied to use all my ram on windows vista and only gotten it to 2.91 gigs used. The windows vista add-ons makes me like vista over xp. I'm able to regulate how much cpu and ram is being used by each application. This is extremely helpful in knowing what I need for a computer and also knowing if my computer is infected with a virus.
Vista's great, don't get me wrong... but I have 3 gigs. With his price range he's likely looking at a 2 gig system, so with that, I'd recommend XP. Also I'm pretty sure Dell is offering XP with their systems now.

dac is offline   Reply With Quote