Music Banter - View Single Post - Manic Street Preachers
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #41 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
I mean fans of This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours and Everything Must Go - so basically, yeah, basically the newer breed of Manics fans. People who just want catchy, guitar-driven anthems out of them. However wrong I may or may not be (I've only got through Send Away the Tigers once - really not my cuppa tea) that's how I see it
Hmm thats interesting. I ask because had you said the general public I would have assumed that you were of the opinion that the songs on that record were what they wanted. That would make sense to me, whether I would have agreed or not. Had you said the old school Manics fans I probably would have agreed too.

Send Away The Tigers is far from The Manics the way they used to be, and without Richey Edwards it's impossible to ever be that band again or to make a record that sounds like the records they made with him. Also Send Away The Tigers has songs like Your Love Alone on it which is a very catcy, infectious pop song not too far away from the stuff on This Is My Truth etc. Even with that said though I get a feeling of, not returning to roots because they certainly haven't but a feeling of the beginning of writing more rock and roll orientated music again and personally I think its probably been better recieved by the old school fans than anything sice The Holy Bible and Everything Must Go (although is very hard to measure of course). They even used The Holy Bible font on the artwork and included older songs like Born To End in the tour for the record.

I guess I just assume that the newer generation of Manics fans, the fans that havent heard anything pre EMG and to whom the whole leopard print and feather boa's thing makes no sense would much rather listen to their slower records like TIMT and Lifeblood than the rockier, faster tunes on their newer record.
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote