Music Banter - View Single Post - Need to rant on
Thread: Need to rant on
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 12:33 AM   #25 (permalink)
lolliot
Groupie

I honestly can't imagine that it's ever been easier for someone to live off of the music they create than it is today, with the wide array of distributional channels that exist outside of those controlled by the big record labels.

15 years ago you were pretty much **** out of luck if none of the major labels would give you a go, because they controlled every viable channel of distribution, whereas today in the digital age, if you are hardworking and make music that appeals to "someone", you can pretty much make a living completely only your own. Additionally there are a lot of smaller independant labels and subsidiaries of the bigger ones that will help you out with the promotional part if you have any sort of talent.

Even though I've only been alive for so long, I think music couldn't possibly have been any better than it is today, because I have so much music to choose from, and it makes it so much more likely that I'm able to find something that appeals to me and I'm able to connect to on an emotional level. I don't have to be labelled by the categorical definitions of the major labels and listen to what they think appeals to me, and that's absolutely amazing in my opinion.

If you think that there aren't anyone out there making good, meaningful music, you haven't exactly gone out of your way to find it. There are thousands of bands and artists out there making music because they love it, and working hard on writing and touring 300 days a year to make the wheels go around, all because they love music.

As for what's actually being aired in the various media outlets, well that's a completely different story, and I would be more than inclined to agree with your sentiments about that. Luckily we're not confined to it anymore!