Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do you like Country?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 01:46 AM   #181 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

allmusic supports what I have read over the years. To quote them

Quote:
In its purest form, Rock & Roll has three chords, a strong, insistent back beat, and a catchy melody. Early rock & roll drew from a variety of sources, primarily blues, R&B, and country, but also gospel, traditional pop, jazz, and folk. All of these influences combined in a simple, blues-based song structure that was fast, danceable, and catchy. The first wave of rock & rollers -- Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, Bo Diddley, Bill Haley, Gene Vincent, the Everly Brothers, and Carl Perkins, among many others -- set the template for rock & roll that was followed over the next four decades. During each decade, a number of artists replicated the sound of the first rockers, while some expanded that definition and others completely exploded the constrictions of the genre. From the British Invasion, folk-rock, psychedelia, and through hard rock, heavy metal, glam rock, and punk, most subgenres of rock & roll initially demonstrated an allegiance to the basic structure of rock & roll.
There is nothing wrong with any of those genre's mentioned being the roots of modern rock. I am not at all embarrassed that music that I like can be traced back to other sources. It is just evolution folks and is what keeps us interested.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote