Music Banter - View Single Post - Morality and the Bible
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #158 (permalink)
kaleidoscope..
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianokeys View Post
[I]1 Corinthians 14:34 - 35:

I could recite so many more passages, and I don't know how you interpret them, but I definitely read all of these similar passages as indicating that the wife is silent, subordinate and under the control of her husband. This is why The Bible was the main source used to argue against women's right to vote - because it indicates that women are not allowed to do such things, but instead they are supposed to remain silent, subordinate, and obedient to man.

As I said, I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you because obviously you interpret these passages quite differently to how I do.
I dont know if i interpret them differently but i think you jump to a conclusion with them. That because it says a woman should be quiet and listen to a mans direction (woman were uneducated at the time) then the bible is sexist and its suddenly men trying to control woman and keep them under men.

Anyway I just say dont throw out the whole bible as sexist and whatever just because a few verses hit a spot that seems uncomfortable for you. Learn about the whole bible, jesus, the over arching stories and context and then look at those passages with that in mind.

But we can agree to disagree on this..
kaleidoscope.. is offline   Reply With Quote