Music Banter - View Single Post - Is it dying?
Thread: Is it dying?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog
How do you mean Diversifying? Spolitting and therefore unable to be contained by limited radio format, or do you mean becoming absorbed by other forms of music? Both?

Please elaborate.
Yeah, I think both are true, the latter more than the former, but I was just messin' around more than anything. I really think that you made a few good points with your introductory post. First its true; "Posturing" as you call it is an example of record industry marketing execs selling an image to a very image conscious target market, namely teenagers/young adults who I'm sure also represent the largest demographic of music media consumers. This basicly just means that rock and roll isnt the meal ticket for corporate record companies that it was in the past, NOT that rock is dying. Yeah, the stuff that the industry is going to be trying to force feed us is more of the Hive/Strokes wannabe bands, cuz "That's what the kids are into these days", and the next flavor of the month will be waiting patiently around the corner when everyone gets sick of that.
I think that radio sucks too. Along time ago before the majority of radio stations in this country became corporately owned it was a slightly different story. I listen to NPR and a couple good independent stations, but other than that.....no. I'm really sensitive to the idea of being someone's target market. I F**king hate it. I would rather painstakingly search for genuinely good music than to have someone basicly say "Based on what we know about your age, gender, race, class, and what kind of laundry detergent you buy you should listen to this !!!!!"
So in a nutshell, if rock and roll falls off the radar screens of the corporate media (i.e. "dies"), as you said, rock musicians will need to become more inventive and original in order to truly make a name for themselves, which may mean we may have something of a rock n' roll renaissance some time in the not-so-distant future, and that sounds very f**king refreshing to me.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote