Music Banter - View Single Post - dont look at me like that
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2005, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
All_Nite_Dinah
Not Impressed

OK this is an abriged history of ska.

Ska is a genre of music that evolved out of American rock, doo wop,jazz and Jamaican Calypso and mento in the 60s'. Like most African American music it was off kilter and focused on the upbeat of the guitar. The sound the guitar made was described as "ska" hence the title ska. Ska was an instant hit amongst Jamicans who were liberated from Britain and needed music to celebrate too. It was especially popular amongst the poor and downtrodden Jamican youth. These kids would form gangs and were called "rude boys". They dressed sharp and could be hired to destroy dance halls and recording studios these people were called "dance hall crashers" . Anyway Ska was Freaking HUGE in Jamica at the time. This is commonly refered to as the "first wave" of ska. Famous bands in this era include The skatalites, Alton Ellis, laurel Aitken, Duke Reid, and Prince Busters all stars. Anyway this was all super duper fun fun fun, but soon enough ska lost its popularity in the Jamaican mainstream around 67-68' which i said to mark the end of the first wave of ska.

Thats your lesson for now, Ill type more about the rest of the ska "waves" along with my biased opinions and band picks later.

DEATH TO FALSE DUDES!
All_Nite_Dinah is offline   Reply With Quote