Music Banter - View Single Post - Ashes to Ashes: A reintroduction to my personal music library
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #29 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul

Album #8: Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul (1965)
Otis Redding
Genre: Soul
Dedicated to MB Member: Everyone under 20

1. "Ole Man Trouble"
2. "Respect"
3. "A Change Is Gonna Come"
4. "Down in the Valley"
5. "I've Been Loving You Too Long"
6. "Shake"
7. "My Girl"
8. "Wonderful World"
9. "Rock Me Baby"
10. "Satisfaction”
11. "You Don't Miss Your Water"

This is a distinct sound, a seminal piece of the Soul collection and one of my absolute favorites. Featuring just two songs credited to Redding; The first two tracks “Ole Man Trouble” and “Respect”. The rest of the tracks are covers from the likes of Sam Cooke, Smokey Robinson, B.B. King, The Rolling Stones and more. Each song is reimagined in a characteristic manner that is pure Soul, pure Otis. Putting my personal bias aside (well maybe not) this album contains the best recorded versions of “My Girl”, “Respect”, “Down in the Valley”, “Wonderful World” and “Satisfaction” of which Redding says "I use a lot of words different than the Stones' version. That's because I made them up".

Released just two years before his untimely passing; the then twenty four year old Redding performed with the gusto and fervor of the young man he was and related the anguish and spirit of an old Soul. His dynamic and dexterous demeanor is evident throughout the album as is his maturing yet still raw delivery. The energetic songs feature a more ferocious and raw tone while the slower numbers feel like a tenderer and methodical Redding delicately improvising over the splendor of the songs construct.

Recorded shortly after the death of his Idol, the album is in many ways a tribute to Sam Cooke. Otis covers “Shake” “Wonderful World” and “A Change is Gonna Come” doing each more then justice. The memory of Cooke’s music is what many claimed motivated Redding to do this album. Producer Issac Hayes described Redding as “…in the zone…” during the recording session. The albums final track “You Don’t Miss Your Water” slides of stage closing a near perfect collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote