Music Banter - View Single Post - the *** sex & religion thread
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice_of_the_Soul12,13,01 View Post
For a living being to continue its existence, it must reproduce. Sex is meant for more than just pleasure. It's meant for the continuation of the species.

HOWEVER, what makes humans different from other animals is our self-destructive nature. No other animal will have sex just because it feels good. No animal will kill another animal for pleasure or personal gain. I could go on. But I digress.

I'm not condemning homosexuality. I'm just saying it goes against our basic survival instincts. But hey, as I said, we all do things that go against self-preservation. We smoke, we drink, we kill each other, we kill ourselves, we wage war, and that's to name a few. I smoke even if it's bad for me. But why do I do it? It feels gooooood. THAT'S what makes humans unique; we do it because it feels gooooood.

I dunno how..... well, I do KNOW how from what I've read, but apparently getting ****ed in the ass feels good. I say, if no ones getting hurt, do it.
Sorry man, I led you on - I thought you might answer something like this.

You contradict yourself a bit here. If homosexuality is against our "survival", that would mean that the only good thing about sex is reproduction. The logic being, if you can't reproduce - sex is a waste of energy that could otherwise be spent on something that helps you survive. Yet you do admit that we have sex for pleasure (not just reproduction) and pleasure in itself doesn't help us survive, but it's a "biological way" of rewarding us for doing things that do raise our fitness .. And men are sexually compatible and can certainly have sex for pleasure ..

But then you think we're the only ones that do that. I can tell you now, as a biologist, that homosexual intercourse is very common in the animal kingdom, especially with larger social mammals as ourselves and lots of animals also masturbate, as pointed out in part by dac. Examples of masturbating animals are dogs, rats, monkeys .. A few examples of animals who participate in homosexual activities can be wolves, ducks, orcas or giraffes.

By evolutionary theory, sex between same sex individuals in general must have an overall positive effect on fitness, otherwise there would be selection against it. Some of these species indulge in a lot of homosexual behaviour. Giraffe populations have been studied where almost all of sexual intercourse with penetration (>90%) was between males. These animals likely use sex as a way to form alliances, strengthen bonds and in other ways ease social interactions between individuals. Bonobos are masters at this. The resulting higher fitness comes from this social smoothening.

So, to sum up - the most likely reason human males have a g-spot up their butt is to make them sexually compatible with other males which in turn smoothens social relations, something that would generally increase fitness back in the times when this adaption came around. Also, homosexual behaviour is common in many species of large mammals (like us humans) and while it may be considered "unnatural" by religious teachings or culture, there's no real biological reason for assuming it is.

(Note that I'm talking about homosexual behaviour, not homosexuality. The animals I'm talking about are not exclusively having sex with members their own gender, but also with the opposite sex, so they reproduce normally. I think people have a need to define themselves as either *** or straight, even though they might be better described as 80% straight and 20% *** or vice versa. The point is that an 80% straight person probably doesn't live out the slightly *** side of his or her persona. If it wasn't for this labelling, I think homosexual behaviour would have been more common, like it has been in old cultures in Europe.)

Last edited by Guybrush; 12-17-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote