Music Banter - View Single Post - the *** sex & religion thread
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Personally - and this is just an opinion - I roughly think of sexual orientation as a gradient with 100% heterosexual and in one end and 100% homosexual in the other. Most people are somewhere between those two with the majority leaning towards the heterosexual end .. And then, just like you get a minority who are very tall or very short, you get people who are on the homosexual end of this gradient.

Let's just say as a thought experiment that it was caused by one mutated gene. If that gene caused a preference for the same sex and in turn less productive output for individuals possessing it, then it should be selected against and probably disappear through evolution. If homosexuality is merely a result of something that we all possess (more like what I described above) - a genetic makeup that has been selected for, then it shouldn't. (Homosexuality still has a genetic component, though, and runs in families.)

As I posted earlier, in modern society, sexual orientation is usually a very important part of our identity - how we define ourselves. Thus, I think there is a strong tendency to stick to your side of this gradient and think of yourself as completely (100%) homo- or heterosexual - even if you're not.

Last edited by Guybrush; 12-17-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote