Music Banter - View Single Post - Jackhammer's Horror Corner
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #69 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Driller Killer's bark is worse than it's bite and I much prefer Ferrara's work in the late 80's/early 90's EG-King Of New York and Bad Leiutenant. Don't Look Now is a classic with the best sex scene ever. The Haunting I personally think is overshadowed by a little British film 'Night Of The Eagle' which I Found to be more more subtle. Eyes Without A Face is gobsmacking and up there with Onibaba for cerebral chills.

Your list suggests the more cerebral mind. Have you checked out Session 9 from about 4 years ago? I am sure you would love that.
Bad Lieutenant is stunning, There is something about Driller Killer though that completely chills my bones - i think its that feeling of absolute mental isolation the killer brings to the film.

The Haunting for me is all about atmosphere - which for me is the most important factor in a horror film. I love the fact it doesnt use gore at all (in fact theres not a drop of blood in the entire film) to unsettle the audience, instead focusing on lighting, music and sound effects. It's a masterful, brooding film that still manages to make me feel uneasy. Robert Wise is the man. Im intrigued by Night of The Eagle, i'll definately be checking that out.

I do prefer horror films that dont rely on gore and violence yes. Cannibal Holocaust just makes me feel sick, it doesnt do anything for me as a film at all (though im quite sure that wasnt the directors aim in the first place). Lighting, suspense, sound and music are essential in my eyes. I havent seen that no, i'll check it out

Also, saw a film the other Night called Nomads, you've most likely seen. The ending is truely haunting
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote