Music Banter - View Single Post - Johnny Dowd.
Thread: Johnny Dowd.
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 12:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Not me but it sounds like it warrants a listen at the very least.
Coming your way. I am interested in your thoughts once you get around to listening to it. It is challenging to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Yup. I have three of his albums but I have to say I still have kind of a hard time with his voice. I know he really did grow up in Texas but his accent still sounds incredibly put-on and hard to get past. "Big Wave" is great song though.
An interesting comment. Cultural cringe on your part? I relate to that with Australian soap operas that are in my humble opinion garbage of the extreme kind. The Brits seem to lap 'em up

I actually have no issue with his voice as I guess it sounds rather raw and rural hence his appeal. I have to say that I am liking the album a fair bit. Wrong Side Of Memphis is a lo fi production of the extreme kind and of course, as you have mentioned, his voice is one that takes some getting used to but I like that to be honest. I have had a life time of rock voice and to be honest am sick of that. This is earthy and interesting for that. Have you ever heard Daniel Johnstone? Though different there is a similar outsider feel if you get my meaning. Daniel Johnstone meets Forrest Gump.

The first track, Murder, sounds like an old blues 78". An odd start but it sucked me in.

Ft Worth Texas is a great track. The lyric is fantastic, he murders his girl friend and this song is his lament. "I dream Of her all day" he drawls. Love it!
That to me is the key to the entire album. The lyrics and the rural simplicity of it all.

I have looked for some of his other albums. No record shop in Brisbane has any and can not even get them in so I am stuck in that regard. I tried a torrent and got a rather poorly uploaded version of Pictures From Life's Other Side but three of the tracks are faulty and the rest are tagged badly. From what little I have heard so far there is a band and the production values are cleaner. I am interested as to what you have.

So would I recommend it to the uninitiated? Yes if one is daring and no if you are one of the common or garden Rock or Indy lovers that seem to be the majority. It is too far left field for you.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote