Music Banter - View Single Post - Johnny Dowd.
Thread: Johnny Dowd.
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 02:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ZZZ View Post
An interesting comment. Cultural cringe on your part? I relate to that with Australian soap operas that are in my humble opinion garbage of the extreme kind. The Brits seem to lap 'em up
I'm not sure if "cultural cringe" is the right term, since I'm from a part of the US that's probably culturally more similar to Canada than it is to Texas. For a frame of reference of what bugs me about his voice just imagine an Australian singer who sings with an extremely fake and exaggerated sounding, almost to point of being cartoonish, backwoods accent. It's just hard to take seriously. And the guy has lived in in upstate New York for ages so, even though he's originally from Texas, I doubt that accent is totally for real.

Quote:
I have to say that I am liking the album a fair bit. Wrong Side Of Memphis is a lo fi production of the extreme kind and of course, as you have mentioned, his voice is one that takes some getting used to but I like that to be honest.
One thing I definitely admire about that album is that he recorded it by himself in his kitchen. As someone involved in home recording, I find that really inspirational.

Quote:
I have had a life time of rock voice and to be honest am sick of that. This is earthy and interesting for that. Have you ever heard Daniel Johnstone? Though different there is a similar outsider feel if you get my meaning. Daniel Johnstone meets Forrest Gump.
I'm not familiar with Daniel Johnstone. I'd be interested in hearing him. I usually actually like unusual voices, Johnny Dowd is just the rare exception that I have a hard time getting past.

Quote:
I have looked for some of his other albums. No record shop in Brisbane has any and can not even get them in so I am stuck in that regard. I tried a torrent and got a rather poorly uploaded version of Pictures From Life's Other Side but three of the tracks are faulty and the rest are tagged badly. From what little I have heard so far there is a band and the production values are cleaner. I am interested as to what you have.
I'd be more than happy to hook you up with Pictures From Life's Other Side and Temporary Shelter if you're having trouble finding them. IMHO, both of those albums are far better than Wrong Side of Memphis. Just be forewarned that they have a pretty different sound from the first album, not as rootsy, more in the vein of 70s era Iggy Pop or something.

After this conversation I'll probably have to give them another spin myself.

Last edited by Janszoon; 12-18-2008 at 03:07 AM.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote