Music Banter - View Single Post - Johnny Dowd.
Thread: Johnny Dowd.
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 04:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm not sure if "cultural cringe" is the right term, since I'm from a part of the US that's probably culturally more similar to Canada than it is to Texas. For a frame of reference of what bugs me about his voice just imagine an Australian singer who sings with an extremely fake and exaggerated sounding, almost to point of being cartoonish, backwoods accent. It's just hard to take seriously. And the guy has lived in in upstate New York for ages so, even though he's originally from Texas, I doubt that accent is totally for real.
Not sure they fake it too much in Australia. Some of the more well known Country singers, say Slim Dusty for example who was a bush icon here, sung as they spoke, so we tended to get used to it. I think that the big difference is that the US is a big country in terms of population with, as you said, cultural differences between the states. It is not like that here. 95% of people speak with the same accent and it can be hard to tell what part of the country someone comes from unless they tell you. But I understand your point. I guess his accented vocal just seems interesting to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm not familiar with Daniel Johnstone. I'd be interested in hearing him. I usually actually like unusual voices, Johnny Dowd is just the rare exception that I have a hard time getting past.

I'd be more than happy to hook you up with Pictures From Life's Other Side and Temporary Shelter if you're having trouble finding them. IMHO, both of those albums are far better than Wrong Side of Memphis. Just be forewarned that they have a pretty different sound from the first album, not as rootsy, more in the vein of 70s era Iggy Pop or something.

After this conversation I'll probably have to give them another spin myself.
Love to get them off you when you can. I can give you a very interesting album by Daniel Johnstone called The Late Great Daniel Johnstone: Discovered Covered. allmusic review = allmusic ((( The Late Great Daniel Johnston: Discovered Covered > Overview )))
Bear in mind that he is a bit different musically and the reference was for the vocal delivery only. Let me know.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote