Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 100 Guitarists Of All Time:
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #48 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Thats a horrible example.

Thats like saying, well Paul McCartney must not be talented or influencial in anyway because you know, he sucks without the other guys.

With any band, chemestry is important, if you think DLR is the only reason Van Halen found success, then you're obviously crazy.

DLR's vocals did give Van Halen a distinct sound though which was lost when they got Sammy. But it goes without saying that what made Van Halen get peoples attention was the way EVH played, in 1978 every rock band had bluesy guitarists that were indistinguishable from another. EVH did something entirely different and thus inspired tons of musicians as a result, and yet, he's unoriginal and had no impact, based of course, on absolutely nothing.

Hilarious.

And no, I don't care about what you think about most of the guitarists he influenced, since I already know, and in fact, I dislike 90% of all the guitarists in the world who owe their existance to Eddie. But it dosen't change the fact that he inspired people, which as a music lover I have to respect.

If I were to go by an objective criteria I'd have to say that EVH is at least in the top 3 great guitarists of all time.
I'm not saying he wasn't one or that Dave was the only factor in their popularity. Personally I think what made Van Halen the success they were was a combination of both. All i'm saying is that it's kind of ironic for the amount of praise EVH gets it was the guy with the least musical talent leaving that was their downfall.

I look at it as Roth being the public face of the band & EVH being the muso face of the band. Once Roth left all of EVH guitar trickery & technique may have appealed to musos & die hard fans but without it being backed up with Roth's charisma it was left lacking.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote