Music Banter - View Single Post - System of a Down
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #1174 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unfan View Post
This is probably the best metal song they've ever made. The vocals are still moderately annoying, and the lyrics blow.

This is easily my favorite SOAD song. In fact, its actually pretty good outside of the vocals. However, its good enough I can put the vocals aside and just enjoy for what its worth. SOAD really shouldn't have been a metal band imo.
I think I pretty much agree with your assessment of both these songs. With a different singer they could've been great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammhammer
I think the Unfan just posted an interesting thought that they should'nt really have been a Metal band. I agree quite a lot with this. SOAD incorporated many interesting structures and time signatures into their music that was lost under a lot of generic riffs. if they had gone the more experimental root and not used a commercially successful armour (if you will) over their ideas then SOAD could really have been something.
That's a good point. I think part of the trouble I have with them is that they get hyped as being so unique and experimental and weird, and then I listen to them and... they aren't. They have some interesting elements going on from time to time but I think they'd be a far better band if they pushed more in the weird direction.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote