Music Banter - View Single Post - Classical Piano Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
mannny
**** Steve Harvey

I play classical piano and I absolutely love listening to piano-centric music. I'll try to help you out and give you some recommendations from my library.

I recommend you check out Georges Cziffra's interpretation of Liszt's works. He is one of my favorite pianists, and he is widely known as the greatest performer of Liszt.

From the Baroque period I would recommend all of Bach's work. The Well Tempered Clavier, Goldberg Variations, and the Partitas for piano are his piano works that stand out to me. Also check out his Violin Sonatas and Partitas and the Cello Suites. For more Baroque composers I would try Albinoni, specifically his Adagio for Strings in G Minor. It's a wonderful string composition.

From the Classical period, my favorite is obviously Beethoven. You probably have all you need of his work but if you haven't already heard his late string quartets give them a listen because they are some of the most beautiful string compositions ever written. His Violin Sonatas are also great (I have an amazing recording performed by Itzhak Perlman and Vladimir Ashkenazy).
Form more piano works from the classical period try Mozart's piano sonatas. They aren't as dramatic as Beethoven's, in my opinion, but still a wonderful set of pieces. Also try Schuberts piano sonatas and impromptus.

From the Romantic period my favorite is definetly Chopin. His Nocturnes, are some of the most beautiful pieces for the piano ever written. And he has an amazing amount of piano works: Ballades, Scherzos, Poloanaises, Waltzes, Etudes, Preludes, Mazurkas, Piano Concertos. All brilliant.
For some great string compositions from the Romantic period listen to Pablo Sarasate, Mendelssohn's piano trios, and Brahm's sonatas for violin and piano.

From the 20th Century give Debussy a listen. His Preludes, Images, and of course Suite Bergamesque and all great compositions. Erik Satie is another great French composer. His Gnossiennes and Gymnopdies are great works. Ravel also has some interesting piano works. Jean Sibelius is one of my favorite 20th century composers. His string quartets and symphonies are great, he also has a number of great piano compositions. And if your up for really modern music listen to Philip Glass's solo piano album.

Hopefully all that helped guide you to expand your amount of piano musc. If you need help finding anything feel free to PM me.