Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #38 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

[part 2]

The Outtakes.

Having It All: Another wonderful song this. It was originally considered for Julien Temple's Absolute Beginners but evidently never made it. I don't usually do this in this section, but here's a nice video of it.

End Of the Rainbow, Suffering Face and Deportee: All solo, acoustic demoes which never made the album sessions (the latter of which is a vastly superior revision of the Deportee's Club from Goodbye Cruel World.

King Of Confidence: Dropped from the tracklisting at the last minute to make way for Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, this song really should have stayed where it was.

Shoes Without Heels: Another slower, country-tinged song, it's another marvellous track which, again, really should have made the album.

Betrayal, Next Time Round, Baby's Got a Brand New Hairdo and I Hope You're Happy Now: The other four songs which Costello attempted to record with the Attractions, they certainly sound far too new wave-afflicted and fast to warrant a place on the album.

So, summing up then...
As an artistic venture, getting in touch with his musical roots and hiring a completely new band and producer worked wonders for Costello. Although not the next logical step after Imperial Bedroom, it's miles better than the two rather tame albums which preceded it. Elvis Costello had officially got his groove back. It's probably not everyone's cuppa tea, but I couldn't recommend it enough to any folk, blues, bluegrass or country fans out there. Anyway...

9/10

Last edited by Bulldog; 12-24-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote