Music Banter - View Single Post - Noise
Thread: Noise
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #46 (permalink)
Brad Stengel
This Space for Rent

HEALTH (Not the 'DISCO' album, their s/t)
Teenage Jesus and the Jerks
DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips View Post
i may not have been entirely serious. it just seems like half the topics on this forum (all of them) seem to revolve around categorising music, rather than the music itself. the punk forum is probably worst, but it's bad in all of them...except the avant garde forum i guess. out of the ones i visit anyway. i'm not complaining btw, and i don't care if it changes or not...i just find it very mundane and irrelevant and futile and stoopid and etc etc.

times new viking are just a white boy indie band, but they are charming and fun and therefore i like them. i'm also going to see them live in May, but i still haven't heard the new record so i'll get on that ASAP! "Present the Paisley Reich" was very enjoyable to my ears though. some throwaway tunes, but some bitchin sh'it as well.
I saw them in November, they're really good live. They introduced every song by saying, "This song is about drugs". They did that at least 6 or 7 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Don't get me wrong I don't dislike them.
There's just something about the whole bad production thing that bothers me. It just seems a bit fake to me , like they're desperate for a gimmick. I don't see how it adds to the music in any way.

The reason I feel TNV being lo-fi adds to their appeal, is because after years of listening to Pavement, Neutral Milk Hotel, Guided by Voices and 70's punk, I have the opposite mentality on music production of your average listener. Something lo-fi has a much better chance of making an impact as something well produced on me. There are countless bands I am introduced to that take a long time to get used to because they're not lo-fi (for example, Born Ruffians). It's a different story for genres that dont neccassarily lend themselves well to lo-fi (electronica) I'm basically reffering solely to simple guitar bass drums pop/rock groups (like TNV).