Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

The Electric Prunes - I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)
(1967)

Tracks

1 I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night) 2:55
2 Bangles 2:27
3 Onie 2:43
4 Are You Lovin' Me More (But Enjoying It Less) 2:21
5 Train for Tomorrow 3:00
6 Sold to the Highest Bidder 2:16
7 Get Me to the World on Time 2:30
8 About a Quarter to Nine 2:07
9 The King Is in the Counting House 2:00
10 Luvin' 2:03
11 Try Me on for Size 2:19
12 The Toonerville Trolley 2:34

The Electric Prunes were formed in Los Angeles in 1965, and released their debut in 1967 on the Reprise Record Label, the band in subsequent years would become mired in internal affairs and personnel changes but here they have certainly left an important album. The record they released fully displays the qualities which are the essence of the original line-up of The Electric Prunes, "I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)" as a song and an album oozes Garage, Psychedelia and Punk, which lets be honest are all you can ask for.

Although this album is famed for its key contributions from song writing legends of the alternative scene; Tucker and Mantz, The Electric Prunes have unmistakably stamped their mark on this record, heavily influencing the sound and feel of the album, the success of which can be heard throughout. Obviously the "strong" singles which reached the mainstream from this album; "Get Me To The World on Time" and the title track "I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)", are the stand out tracks on the record, but if you delve deeper there are some brilliant numbers which move the Prunes from being your typical Garage band to one of the key players in the genre, with a sound distinctly theirs.

Always trying to find ways to be different, my favourite song off this album is not what many observers would believe to be their strongest, sure "I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)" is a glorious song with its ear shifting start and eerie content, and "Get Me to The World On Time" is what an on form Rolling Stones would have sounded like if they were raised in the California sun, but for me "Sold to The Highest Bidder" is a marvellous effort which I have to listen to at least once a day, with its Greek sounding guitar and lyrics about greed, I really cannot get enough of it. There is also the bonus track "Aint It Hard", and "Luvin'" which again demonstrate beyond all doubt just how good this band actually were.

The follow up album "Underground", I believe shares similar qualities to their debut and contains some gems, which again I recommend to you strongly, truly a great band. From 1968 onwards though the band spiralled downwards with wranglings galore and eventually an unrecognisable Prunes dissolved in 1970. But it certainly has to be said that for me, their debut is up there with the landmark albums of the Psychedelic/Garage scene of the late sixties, if that scene is your bag, then no doubt about it, you'll have to buy this album.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote