Music Banter - View Single Post - The Crowe 100
Thread: The Crowe 100
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 12:53 AM   #74 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

MILESTONE ALBUM: RAISED BY THE CLASSICS

40. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (1966)
So we've reached our first Milestone Album. Since I can't say anything you haven't heard about this album musically, we'll just talk about the MA position on my list. As I've mentioned in blurbs before... I was raised on this album. My grandparents always, always had this on... the only thing my grandma thought I should listen to was this and other rock groups from the 50's and 60's... she also thought Hootie and the Blowfish was acceptable. Aside from that glaring musical taste issue, my grandmother and grandfather taught me to appreciate the classics from a young age. While some kids were learning how to clean up and love each other from Barney the Big Purple Dinosaur - I was already learning the classics. I do not listen to a Beach Boys song and not think of my summers with my grandparents, and I thank them everytime I see them for playing The Beach Boys instead of the Celine Dion of which they have a large collection.

Check out: It's Pet Sounds... listen to the whole thing over and over again.

39. The Moldy Peaches - S/T (2001)
Alright, so unlike most people I've met. I knew The Moldy Peaches before Juno. OH, I'm sooo coool. Actually, I couldn't stand this album when I first heard it - I mean, I reallllly couldn't stand it. I stumbled on a review on some music review site back then (maybe epitonic.com) and gave this a shot... I did not appreciate the bad advice from that particular site. Fast forward about 5 or 6 years and I'm working at a (wannabe/has been) trendy sandwich shop in a small college town filled with hipsters. I get to listen to Kimya Dawson's solo stuff being played and I was aware that I recognized the voice but couldn't place it... later, a friend of mine would go on to have me listen to Kimya Dawson, and I re-discovered the Moldy Peaches. I love it. Some people do not, however, and it is here that I sometimes am called upon to deliver the flat vocals and odd-ball lyrics. I don't care. I'll do it. It's arguably unique, it's arguably a pile of talentless ****. I can see both sides - but I lean towards unique. You never really know what to expect on this album it takes so many turns from just... tiny acoustic sounds, uber-repetitive lyrics to a Brian May-esque guitar solo on "Nothing Came Out" to talking about sucking a **** in another song... it's a fun ride with the Peaches and that's why I love them so much. Well - and yeah - fast forward a year later and Juno makes popular Anyone Else But You giving anyone and everyone some pretty sweet indie cred digs. W/e. It's not important.

Check out: Nothing Came Out, Ballad of Helen Keller and Rip Van Winkle (gorgeous), Anyone Else But You (of course)

38. Nick Drake - Pink Moon (1972)
Ugh, hello beautiful. This is one of those artists, and subsequently albums that I really have to thank musicbanter for. I had never heard of Nick Drake before I visited these forums. I had heard the song Pink Moon somewhere, sometime as I recognized it after downloading his three albums... but phew. The sheer simplicity of this album is so indicative of the talent of Mr. Drake. I am pretty demanding when it comes to the instrumental aspect of what I'm listening to - I guess, for me - a voice and an acoustic guitar can only get you so far. But not Monsieur Drake. The touching lyrics, the wonderful lush sounds he teases out of his guitar - the marriage of these two aspects is perfection. This album would undoubtedly have been higher had I heard it earlier in life. I had a super hard time picking between Pink Moon and Bryter Layter - I do love the full orchestral arrangements of BL... but the fact that this was Nick's final album... his swan song is really quite moving, and I feel like it gives it that extra impact when I'm listening. What would he have become? We are all punished by his early death - but we can rejoice in what little he left us here. K, i'm stopping before this turns into a sappy obit.

Check out: Pink Moon, Which Will, Parasite

37. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik (1991)
Yeah, man. This was THE album that you could bring up in conversation and everyone seemed to have happy things to say. This is/was an album that I've really never heard anyone give an argument against its merits as a breakthrough, class album. This is an old album, for sure. I remember hanging out after school (elementary school, mind you) with the 6th graders and hearing them talk about this album. I knew about it because I watched MTV (and MTV was still MUSIC television at this time) and RHCP had their videos all over MTV. I always felt like I was breaking rules listening to this when I was young. Suck My Kiss did not sound like something I wanted my mom heard me listening to - after all, when I was 7, "suck" was a bad word! But I could always join the older kids and sometimes even the younger teachers - and they were so surprised I was listening to RHCP, I felt so f'n cool. That might be my first time being a "poser" as I'd only really heard the 2 or 3 songs they played on the radio or on MTV, but I acted like I was on first name terms with everyone in RHCP. But even now... Blood Sugar Sex Magik is some how... a great unifier when you are talking about music with someone. And it's great, it's just a great - classic - album that was so different when it came out - and I feel like it stands the test of time, unlike some of the grunge acts that were starting to rise out of the great pile of rubble that was 80's hair metal. It still sounds fresh to me.

Check out: Suck My Kiss! Give It Away, Sir Psycho Sexy

Last edited by Crowe; 12-22-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote