Music Banter - View Single Post - What got you into avant-garde and experimental music?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kamikazi Kat
Music Addict

Default What got you into avant-garde and experimental music?

This might not be the case for all of us, but there was a time (at least for me) when I first started listening to music a few years ago around the age of 11 or 12, where I listened to stuff that sounds nothing like what I listen to now. There was a time when I thought bands like New Found Glory and Green Day were the ****. So, when did you guys begin to listen to music that pushes boundaries and the like? Are there any particular bands that introduced you to this kind of music?

For me, It was kind of a slow translation. I listened to bands that people at my school liked for a short time. Then came of time where for some reason I only listened to alot of ska music (mostly reel big fish and the like), mostly because what alot of ska artists did was different from the usual alternative and pop rock that everybody at my school listened too. I always wanted to hear something different and original. I also got into bands like The Strokes.

Later I gradually began to get into more "hardcore" bands, mostly because of their aggresive, noisey style and once again, because they were different from the stuff that I heard on the radio.

I really began to love Dillinger Escape Plan. After listening to them and bands like them for a while, I eventually came across the band's collaboration project with Mike Patton, which I really liked. This led me to Mr. Bungle. After listening to a few of their songs, I instantly was amazed and loved their music and brought all of their albums. I listened to them almost religiously (I remember listening to their 3 cd's all the way through about 3-4 times during the long car rides while me and my family were in california on vacation). The individual solo projects from the band introduced me to Fantomas, Secret chiefs 3, ect. which introduced me to musicians like John Zorn, Boredoms, ect.

So...thats my story.
Kamikazi Kat is offline   Reply With Quote