Music Banter - View Single Post - What got you into avant-garde and experimental music?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

for me it was the last time i went to college. it was also 1998. the internet was still developing and peer to peer file sharing required knowledge of ftp and irc clients. music television still primarily played videos, late night music tv actually featured legitimate underground exposure.

i still remember being in the lounge of my dorm and catching aphex twin's 'come to daddy' video on what was called 'RU receiving' on late night muchmusic. about two weeks later i caught squarepusher's 'come on my selector' on a random program in the middle of a sunday afternoon.

thankfully sites like oth.net were around to allow people to try getting random mp3s through a browser.

i fondly remember milking some irc channels during the summer break just before napster really took off at the start of our 2nd year. so i guess it's not really a specific musician or group per se but time and place for me.

oh yeah, and brave new waves. it was a late night CBC radio2 program that ran for about 20 years before being canned / replaced with radio3 a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote