Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

The Bruthers - Bad Way to Go
(2003)

Tracks

1 Bad Way to Go 2:55
2 Bad Love 2:18
3 The Courtship of Rapunzel 2:49
4 Don't Forget to Cry 2:52
5 Just Had to Laugh 2:05
6 I Wanna Be Your Man 2:33
7 Walk Out in the Sun 2:42
8 My Generation 2:17
9 I'm Gonna Be Alone 2:41
10 Wake Me, Shake Me 3:06
11 The Courtship of Rapunzel [instrumental] 2:58

This was my first 60's Garage album I ever bought, I bought it from the now lost but not forgotten, Vox Pop in Manchester's Northern Quarter a few years back. My eyes were drawn to it because the good folk at Vox Pop had stuck a label on it saying "Awesome 60's Garage" and a price tag of £4.99, so why not I thought..... and I was not disappointed.

The Bruthers, who actually were brothers, a bit like the Bee Gees but with better dress sense and better music obviously, were from a town on the east coast of America called New York. They only ever released one single, the marvellous organ enduced stomper Bad Way to Go in 1966, despite the undenying talent, the band were dropped by their label due to the low commercial impact of this initial single, as is always the way with these sorry tales.

In 2003 the good people at Sundazed looked back at The Bruthers, cobbled together some lost tapes and released this album. But this isn't your typical makeshift lost and found. Sundazed have done a quality job with this collection and you can be forgiven in thinking that The Bruthers themselves released this album back in the day.

It contains some pure 60's Garage gems, the only single Bad Way To Go, is snarling and raw as nature intended. The album also features other gems including The Courtship of Repunzel whose ending screams of "Repunzel!" is marvellous to say the least. Other songs which will feature on your play list within an hour of your purchase arriving though the door include, Bad Love, Don't Forget to Cry and Just Had to Laugh similarly following the Bruther's format of snarling vocals, raw guitar, organ accompaniment, and an underlying fury.

Also on the album are your typical Garage treatment towards more well know songs, including covers of The Who's My Generation and The Beatles' I Wanna Be Your Man.

This album proves that just because you have never heard of a band or their music, mearly proves that you're just missing a few CDs from your collection and nothing more. If you are interested in Garage or just want to have your ears opened to the possibility that a few 60's pop compilations were not the only thing to come out of the 1960's, buy this album, like me, you wont be disappointed.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote