Music Banter - View Single Post - Life After Death
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 11:46 PM   #32 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

I'd define a Christian the same as the bible would: someone who believes they've found salvation in God. I don't understand how me saying you're a christian and assuming you believe in a higher power with an interest in you contradicts that definition...

I don't understand how a god who created us by accident and doesn't care about our existence is any different than an indifferent universe. You said you choose to believe it was a god because it gives you something to strive for; an indifferent universe gives you nothing but if you were just some sort of celestial sneeze that the means nothing to a god how is that any different then the indifferent universe? I think whether or not the god has an interest in the human race makes all the difference in the world and is completely relevant to having something to strive for. Can you explain how it's "completely and utterly irrelevant?"

I'm not trying to do away with your sense of purpose. I'm just curious about it because it doesn't make much sense to me, it strikes me as more hopeful than reasonable. The only times I really stop respecting someone's beliefs is when they start enforcing it on others. Though I don't think a sense of respect implies any sort of acceptance; not all ideas are equal. I can respect a Christian's beliefs but in my understanding of history and how the world operates I'm certain they're making a mistake. Also just because I'm skeptical doesn't mean I don't feel like I have a purpose. Don't get me wrong; I don't have a theistic purpose or any motivation to be "moral" and I believe an afterlife is completely impossible. I still strive to be an intelligent and good person though and I have dreams for what I want to do with my life. They're just not of god or existing outside of my body once it stops; they're of being happy.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote