Music Banter - View Single Post - Underrated Failure
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Default Underrated Failure

One of the things most music fans do is rally against bands who doesn't deserve it as much as they say they do, and hate too little on bands that actually deserve it. I think its high time we took a moment to remind ourselves how good we all have it that certain bands aren't dominating magazine covers and radio air waves. I'll start...

Band: Incubus

Height of Fame 2000, Drive

Why I hate them: While there were many reasons to hate them, Brandon being a pin-up douche who always pretended to not want the fame even though he had a faded mustache and half a shirt on.

That they rallied against nu-metal when they made equally pretenious music

That they dumped the bassist drik for the guy from the roots only to crash and burn in talentless land.

That they gave rise to Hoobastank

And while those are all great reasons, the one that burned me most was that in any interview ever, Incubus always came off like some know-it-all ******* who took one college philosophy course and thought they knew everything.

If he wasn't talking about why we should all be vegitarians, it was how men weren't emotional enough and we didn't all play enough hackysack. While Im sure he never accused people with jobs of being shackled by the man, I'd almost expect thats his position.

But the one thing that drove me off the cliff was this ultra-leftist, one-upsmanship that concluded with a statement to the effect of:

"Woman are more accurate singers, I think thats what we're all subscribing to. I always attempt to sound like female singers when i sing. I listen to a lot of Ani and Joni Mitchell."

Keep in mind, I'm paraphrasing from an article I read somewhere close to 9 years ago. I'm sure thats horribly off but the gist is there. If your preference is woman singers more power to you, but Brandon felt the need to deliver from on high his dictum that men were always in-fact sub par. Not only that, but they ought to be vegans too.

A friend of mine recently heard one of their post fame discs and said it was bordering on emo. I don't want to start that ****ing war, shes not too muscially savy so I'm sure she ment that MTVmo that was prominent at the time, but thats another kicker. Incubus hid behind a "we like to change our sound mantra" which conveniently became, "we like to do what saves our career."