Music Banter - View Single Post - Underrated Failure
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Incubus are one of my favorite modern bands.

And you know, a big problem I have with your criticisms Big3, is again, it says absolutely nothing about the music.

Now, as for not liking their music, that's understandable, but I'm tired of people that say a band sucks and then try to "prove" it by pointing out that god forbid, the frontman comes off as being a douchebag.

Quote:
Why I hate them: While there were many reasons to hate them, Brandon being a pin-up douche who always pretended to not want the fame even though he had a faded mustache and half a shirt on.
That's a good reason to hate a musician or band on a personal level, NOT a good reason to say they are bad or talentless.

Quote:
That they rallied against nu-metal when they made equally pretenious music
They were never really a nu metal band, but you sport some dreadlocks and have a DJ, well yeah, I know why they got pigeonholed in that category.

Quote:
That they dumped the bassist drik for the guy from the roots only to crash and burn in talentless land.
To say Incubus are talentless is just plain wrong.

Quote:
That they gave rise to Hoobastank
So what? Hoobastank actually are sh*tty, so why not go after them? Does any artist have any f*cking control over what they influence? That's always a lame reason to hate somebody. If it wasn't a lame reason, than REM are objectively one of the worst bands of all time.

Quote:
And while those are all great reasons, the one that burned me most was that in any interview ever, Incubus always came off like some know-it-all ******* who took one college philosophy course and thought they knew everything.

If he wasn't talking about why we should all be vegitarians, it was how men weren't emotional enough and we didn't all play enough hackysack. While Im sure he never accused people with jobs of being shackled by the man, I'd almost expect thats his position.

But the one thing that drove me off the cliff was this ultra-leftist, one-upsmanship that concluded with a statement to the effect of:

"Woman are more accurate singers, I think thats what we're all subscribing to. I always attempt to sound like female singers when i sing. I listen to a lot of Ani and Joni Mitchell."

Keep in mind, I'm paraphrasing from an article I read somewhere close to 9 years ago. I'm sure thats horribly off but the gist is there. If your preference is woman singers more power to you, but Brandon felt the need to deliver from on high his dictum that men were always in-fact sub par. Not only that, but they ought to be vegans too.
So your hatred for the band stems from, their political views? If picking on one of my favorite bands wasn't enough, you somehow turn it into a rant about vegans and feminists, now I of course, hate vegans and feminists, but that's never stopped me from liking Incubus, let alone come across as a good reason to say someone sucks.

I've used the vegan thing before to describe by hate for Morrissey yes, but I've always made it clear that I really only hate him on a personal level (though his solo music is objectively horrible). I'm not gonna say The Smiths suck because their singer likes to be a Nazi about what he eats.

And please, don't target a band for being snobbish about their beliefs and then defend somebody like the f*cking Smiths, who also have one of the most elitist fan followings in the known world.

Quote:
A friend of mine recently heard one of their post fame discs and said it was bordering on emo. I don't want to start that ****ing war, shes not too muscially savy so I'm sure she ment that MTVmo that was prominent at the time, but thats another kicker. Incubus hid behind a "we like to change our sound mantra" which conveniently became, "we like to do what saves our career."
Well your friend obviously has no understanding of the word emo.

And Incubus never needed to save their career, there was no reason at all for them to change their sound after Make Yourself and Morning View did as well as they did, if anything, their change in sound after that point has alienated a lot of their fans.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote