Music Banter - View Single Post - Underrated Failure
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unfan View Post
I love how Boo Boo is white knighting for Incubus. This thread delivers the lulz.

Also, my turn. I choose Rage Against The Machine. RATM managed to (dis)grace the radio waves for years without much complaining yet spawned lots of die hard followers. I, on the other hand, believe Rage Against The Machine to be one of the worst bands to ever exist. My reasons being...

1. Their music was half-assed radio safe no risks nu-metal. Rage Against The Machine played what everyone was playing at the time. Ultra generic guitar riffs, annoying rappy vocals, and simplistic beats that teetered between hip-hop and rock.
Wrong. Lest I remind you, this band's debut album was in 1993. Bands that mixed Helmet style riffs with hip hop and political lyrics was not a common thing.

Quote:
2. Zach De La Rocha had one of the worst voices I've ever heard. He sounded like he was dead centere of puberty and his constant angst filled whiny screams didn't make things better. He was also a notably bad rapper

La Rocha's voice fits perfectly with the concept behind the band, which of course has a lot to do with, well, rage. La Rocha has the voice of a young, confused and angry individual. He suits the music perfectly. If you don't like the music that's fine, but he's hella effective at his style, beats the f*ck out of any nu metal vocalist by a long shot.

Quote:
3. Tom Morello, while slightly innovative in the way he played leads, is a terrible guitarist. The way he over used pedals made the guitar sound very unnatural and not very guitar like. I get what he was going for but it honestly sounded like a guy who had no clue how to operate a synthesizer was getting terrible feedback.
That's a horrible f*cking criticism. He's a bad guitarist because it dosen't sound like a guitar? That's just f*cking retarded, I'm sorry.

Quote:
4. The lyrics tried hard to be political but fell short of actually making any political statements. "ALL HELL CAN'T STOP US NOW!" isn't exactly impressing anyone, and it doesn't make you sound like a rebellious badass by any stretch. On the other end of the spectrum they had nonsense lines like "I give a shout at to the living dead who stood and watched the feds cold centralized" which has absolutely no meaning at all. Not to mention most of the songs were nothing more than childish slogan shouting. I don't imagine any other band will ever fail so hard lyrically.
You haven't read their lyrics I see, it's not just sloganeering, that's obvious to anyone that's heard at least one album by the band. I'm not saying theres any lyrical brilliance involved. But your criticisms here all seem to be strawmen, when you try to criticise something, you should at least admit the undeniable positive attributes about it and try to understand why people like it, as a Rage fan I can confidently say, you have no clue.

Quote:
5. Even when not failing at politics they failed at politics in real life with their super leftist hugs-n-kisses approach to politics. Being anti-capitalist is the same as being anti-freedom. If you're against allowing people to fail and succeed on their own merits get out of America, kthx.
I don't agree with their politics, I'm a civil libertarian. But that's just dumb.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote