Music Banter - View Single Post - Underrated Failure
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

I'd like to give a shout out to Bruce Springsteen, who's always irked me, but I've begun to develop a severe intolerance to his malignant songwriting. If you actually like him, ponder this:

1. Since the mid-1970s, he's been making the same generic music, and people REJOICED. There were critics who hailed him as the new face of rock n' roll, and after thirty years, he's been making the same goddamn songs over and over.

2. Springsteen is a mediocre guitarist, and he threatens to offend mediocrity itself by his inability to play, yet he somehow manages to draw comparisons to every other blues-based guitarist. I once read a Rolling Stone which compared no less than three Americana artists to the Boss.

3. Bruce Springsteen's solo albums are AWFUL. It is astounding to see how even die-hard Springsteen fans hate his solo work while they praise his work with the E Street Band. Doesn't really say much about his songwriting ability, does it?

4. Fuck New Jersey. Okay, so this might be tangent to the rant, but if you've ever been there (and you don't live there) you'll recognize it as one of the worst places in the United States. Dirty, crime-ridden and corrupt, New Jersey is a land mired in shit. Springsteen, naturally, spent enough of his life there to write most of his work about this shithole.

Springsteen is one of the biggest fails to grace music, and he's rarely recognized as such.