Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #1866 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Shane Meadows, as much as I like him, doesn't come close to the versatility or originality of either Tarantino or the Wachowski's (and he'll obviously never be of much interest to people outside of England), and Rodriguez makes recycled trash without the retro cool (which just makes it trash, as evidenced with the Grindhouse project). Speed Racer was not meant to be a serious film, it's an adaptation of a Japanese kids cartoon, almost a literal adaptation (as far as the story goes at least) which is precisely what makes it work, it's tongue in cheek, stupid fun, and everyone that failed to see it has forgotten how to be a kid (although I don't think kids can really appreciate the style).
Spy Kids 3 easily shows how to make a kids film that can appeal to both kids and adults. Rodriguez has made plenty of films I don't like but he has more talent than the chin. Even industry insiders are now commenting on Tarantino. The guy can write dialogue but if we are talking versatility where is the serious film? Where is the film without the cutesy dialogue and seriousness? He hasnt got it in him.

I know EXACTLY what Speed Racer was intended to be and I admire many things about it but it's quite boring and horribly sentimental which is anethema to us here in Europe. Admire it? Yes. like it? No, sorry.

Each to their own as I said and I respect your film tastes yet you dismiss Horror but embrace Speed Racer and Deathproof?

I have seen many Horror films that have cost 100/th of the cost of Speed Racer that have more imagination and scope.

You like the film? Great and I can appreciate that but from a guy who loves the minimalist approach of Asian cinema and can discuss Kieslowski with me on an intelligent level has left me speechless with a 10/10 for speed racer.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote