Music Banter - View Single Post - William DuVall: new Alice In Chains singer
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
daren/MRI
Music Addict

ok that's a little better and more clear.

i will agree with you on some things esp comments on newer artists.

however we must simply agree to disagree. are you a musician by any chance? AIC's vocals ( having a dual-lead or even sometimes triple lead vocal ) was completely unprecedented at the time and the harmonies in the Layne Staley-Jerry Cantrell combination were lush with complicated harmonic and melodic scalics using interesting inversions...one in particular was to place the dominant 5th below the root melody giving it that 'sinister' quality that Staleys' baritone voice brought out even more. Look at what happened to music at the time Alice In Chains first came up on the radar...it destroyed the glam-band malaise that was chronic and ubiquitious in the 80s. I'm in my 30's now so maybe I am older than you and remember it better. Anyway..if you ever got to see Alice in Chains live ( before Staley became a super junkie ) you would have been blown away like you would at a Zeppelin show.

another thing though that i will agree with you is that the reason i started this thread is that i am not really sure i like the idea of replacing Layne with any other singer...I don't think there will be ever the chance for AIC to rise ( like a Phoenix lol no pun intended ) up and fly again esp under same name. I think DuVall is a talented dude but I am not sure this will fly. Cantrell should have simply had Duvall join his Degradation Trip band etc...

Hear MRI on Mix Radio
daren/MRI is offline   Reply With Quote