Music Banter - View Single Post - William DuVall: new Alice In Chains singer
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
daren/MRI
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsy View Post
I guess if he's good they'll at least maintain their strong and fairly rabid fan base.

I gotta say though that once groups disband and reform, it probably takes them a little while to regain the momentum they had in their heyday.
exactly my thoughts hence my being worried that the new AIC will be disappointing but i will try to keep an open mind; we'll be the first to know anyway upon 1st listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsy View Post
Reformations CAN work, I think, if the artists are dedicated and aren't just cashing in on the nameplate... so if real passion and a desire to be the "band" once again are fueling the AIC reformation fire - then it could be a VERY good thing.

I for one actually miss them a fair bit.
Us too. I think this topic is especially close to home for me as our ( former now fired ) ex-manager was trying to get me to try out for Cantrell's new AIC 2 years ago when the word got out they were looking for singer to tour again. I told out manager he was nuts b/c I knew that AIC was already looking at Duvall as he and Cantrell are friends in real life...also I would never do that to my other band members ( just get up and leave ) and why..to join an AIC cover band really... no thanks. That's lame.

We're huge fans of AIC and of Layne Staley so I understand why our manager was trying to get me to 'audition' as Layne and I have similar vocal tendencies at times esp when layering harmonies [ listen here
Letters Never Sent ]

but this is also the very same reason I WOULD NOT dare audition ;p as I would feel ridiculous. so my burning question now would be the exact same for Duvall and I would love to ask him how he feels about 'replacing' Layne in AIC.

We've been accused of ripping of AIC before too by listeners especially when we first started playing out.... but I am pretty defensive that if you listen to enough songs you will see AIC influences but MRI has its own unique sound unto itself. Here's a good web radio/streaming source with positive posts about AIC/MRI similarities in the song commentaries. MRI on Mixposure Radio If you like AIC you will probably dig the heavier MRI material. Our CD is also on our website for free download. I didn't want to turn this thread into a self-hype but I am only making exception here as about 90% of all MRI fans are also huge Alice In Chains, Stained, Hurt, and Godsmack fans. And I am not asking anyone to buy anything it is simply FYI for people searching for cool new music.

I would love for Duvall himself to enter into this thread...i think he is at the rope i dunno though about here at mb..but i would love for him to show up and let us all listen to some tracks off new album but then again would Jerry let him lol 'p

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Phoenix View Post

Nirvana going out and finding a new singer and calling themselves "Nirvana" wouldn't work, you know it, I do, and many who post here do. So, why try to re-create something you know won't work before you begin?
That is how I feel about AIC, Queen ( not working with Paul Rodgers for me ) and others when bands try to fill irreplaceable shoes.

One of the things I admired about Led Zeppelin is that they disbanded after John Bohnam died in 1980. Was the proper thing to do. Page went on to do a lot more in his musical career and even have Bonzo's son play drums on the Page/Plant tour - but Page never tried to replace an old Zeppelin with a new one.

Hear MRI on Mix Radio
daren/MRI is offline   Reply With Quote