Music Banter - View Single Post - William DuVall: new Alice In Chains singer
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
scottsy
Untalented Drummer

Yeah I guess some of the more successful band reunions have been the ones where the original band had a bit of a revolving cast anyways - take the Pumpkins for example - Corgan and Chamberlin did the bulk of the recording work anyways - and its arguable that this isn't a "successful" reunion yet, too... Same too with Crowded House. Everyone knows they are pretty much Neil Finn's backing band, and he too, revolved different members through the band with each new album - despite the death of Paul Hester (drummer) in 2005, it doesn't change the character of the music greatly - except for the mournful tone as subject matter...

BUT - if there is a core member of the band - like a Layne Staley or a Kurt Cobain, sorta like a bedrock member, the very foundation for which the band exists. If that person is missing, the reunion thing seems kinda like a naff, throwaway idea... almost trampling on history?

Whenever I think of Queen without Freddie Mercury or Guns and Roses without slash, I think it all sounds like a bit of a farce...

Like Ringo and Paul McCartney hooking up to make another Beatles album - it just doesn't wash too well.